"IDEAL" in IDEAL Discharge Planning stands for:
HOMECARE2GO™ APP supplements IDEAL Discharge planning by providing data-driven choices to doctors, patients/families, and case managers to make IDEAL choices that boost satisfaction and value-based care.
- Include the patient and family as full partners in the discharge planning process.
- Discuss with the patient and family five key areas to prevent problems at home:
- i) describe what life at home will be like;
- ii) review medications;
- iii) highlight warning signs and problems;
- iv) explain test results; and
- v) make follow-up appointments.
- Educate the patient and family in plain language about the patient's condition, the discharge process, and the next steps at every opportunity throughout the hospital stay.
- Assess how well doctors and nurses explain the diagnosis, condition, and next steps in the patient's care to the patient and family and use teach back.
- Listen to and honor the patient and family's goals, preferences, observations, and concerns.